Welcome to Dead Reckoning Radio: Orlando, Orlando, and Trump!
This edition of DR Radio is no exception to cultural hotspots. Because we love you, we’ll be talking about fun things, like gays, death, murder, and politics. We’re kicking off our discussion today with not one, but two segments on Orlando and closing out the end of the show with Donald Trump’s campaign efforts to mimic a North Korean missile. For our special games this week, we’ll be playing an NBA themed Nerd V. Nerd and Hamilton inspired Fill in the Blank. We’ve included the show notes below for you to follow along.
You can listen to the show by using this player or one of the other options below:
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at [email protected]
Today’s show is no exception to cultural hotspots. Because we love you, we’ll be talking about fun things, like gays, death, murder, and politics. We’re kicking off our discussion today with not one, but two segments on Orlando and closing out the end of the show with Donald Trump’s campaign efforts to mimic a North Korean missile. As always, we’ll have our usual games of wit and whimsy following our two sponsor breaks.
- Eric Teetsel - Our friend Eric Teetsel made the news yesterday. As a former Marco Rubio adviser, he attended Donald Trump’s meeting with evangelical leaders and stood out front with a handmade sign denouncing Trump for a variety of very non-pro-life positions.
- Birth Control—The App! A number of websites and apps are now available allowing you to get birth control pills without ever visiting the doctor. What do we think of that?
- Sex Makes Babies - Speaking of birth control, a new study recently released shows that school districts that distributed condoms saw a statistically significant uptick in teen pregnancies in the 1990s. By significant, we mean between 10 and 12% higher rates than other school districts. And people everywhere are shocked because…?
Segment One: Orlando, Part One: Sorting out the perpetrators, motives, and victims
Since we were off the airwaves last week, Dead Reckoning didn’t have an “instant take” on the events that unfolded in Orlando, Florida. A gunman entered a predominantly gay nightclub, Pulse, and killed 49 people and injured dozens more. His motive? Well, he said it was an act of jihad in solidarity with ISIS. The Obama Administration says no one can really be sure. That said, we’re sort of glad we didn’t have to give a quick take on it because the issues involved have taken on lives of their own and are complicated. So we’re going to tackle this in two segments.
So, first: who is really to blame? One of the more disturbing memes to emerge has been this: if you oppose homosexual behavior, or oppose same-sex marriage, or baking cakes for same-sex weddings, you created the culture of “hate” that led to these murders. Let’s talk about that.
[Sponsor Break 1]
- ADF Bathroom Consequences
[Nerd v. Nerd]
For Nerd v. Nerd, it’s a special NBA Basketball edition in honor of the Cleveland Cavaliers (Cavs) beating the Warriors on Sunday’s Game 7 of the NBA Finals. It was the most watched Finals game since 1998 when Michael Jordan was playing for the Chicago Bulls against the Utah Jazz.
Segment Two: Orlando, Part Two—Guns!
Predictably—and I do mean predictably; predictable as the sun rising—the Orlando terror attack immediately inflamed the long-running debate over gun control. “Ban the AR-15; no one needs an assault rifle!” they yelled. “Come and take it from my cold, dead hands,” yelled the other side. We haven’t talked about guns or gun control on Dead Reckoning in a long time, so perhaps it’s time!
[Sponsor Break 2]
- ADF Pre-Enforcement Challenge
[Fill in the Blank]
Last week, the Broadway musical, Hamilton took home the Tony Awards. In honor of that, we doing a Founding Father’s edition of Fill in the Blank.
Segment Three: The Incredible Sinking Campaign of Donald J. Trump
Finally, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. Dead Reckoning has managed to go a record number of episodes without talking about the presumptive Republican nominee for President. But, alas, the moratorium isn’t fair to our listeners and talking about clowns is almost always entertaining and sometimes frightening. So what’s going on in Trumpland?
- He fired his campaign managing strong-man, Corey Lewandowski.
- His poll numbers like a North Korean missile, are crashing and burning.
- He released a fundraising report that was…shocking. And abysmal. Ted Cruz has six times the cash-on-hand.
That means donors are nervous. And so are the delegates pledged to vote for him at the convention. Are we going to see an unpredecented “You’re Fired!” in Cleveland?
That’s it for this week!
Donate to help out Dead Reckoning.
Don’t forget to rate us on iTunes!