Welcome to the February 25, 2016 edition of Dead Reckoning Radio on Video!
This is where host Jay Friesen, resident 30-second media mogul Hadley Heath, and Dr. Brian Mattson sit around an old door-turned-table and hopefully attempt to successfully and intelligently engage with critical cultural moments from a distinctly Christian perspective.
Today’s political discussion will cover the Nevada GOP caucuses and updated outlook of the scrappy battle for the Republican party nomination. Followed by a look at cultural, specifically the debate surrounding the Zika virus and abortion being it’s solution. Finally, we’ll close the taking a look at capital punishment, the Pope’s recent comments, and Christianity’s teaching on the issue. As always, we’ll interject our thoughts with Games of Wit and Whimsy, Not the Onion News and Fill in the Blank: Oscars Edition.
You can watch the video above or click through below:
If you like our show, would you take a moment to rate us on iTunes? Thanks!
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at [email protected]
Segment One: The Trump Train Rolls!
The Crazy Train political season keeps on rolling! After Tuesday’s Nevada caucuses, four states have weighed in on the GOP Presidential campaign, and Donald Trump has decisively won three of them. These are nerve-wracking times for people not supporting Trump, as the window of opportunity for stopping him gets ever narrower. Next Tuesday TEN states will be holding their primaries—so-called “Super Tuesday.”
Now, you probably didn’t know this but here at Dead Reckoning, we don’t like spending all our time talking about politics. So the good thing about the primary schedule is that this could all be over soon! Right, so Hadley, what do you make of Trump’s continued popularity? Is there something more alarming underneath, culturally causing this?
- Any religious/theological implications?
- Let’s talk about Ted Cruz. His results in South Carolina were wildly disappointing for him, and there are a lot of rumblings of discontent in his campaign. Why did his strategy (win the evangelical vote!) fail?
- How about Marco Rubio? After a disastrous 5th place finish in New Hampshire, he surged to a 2nd place showing in South Carolina. What do you make of his chances? What does he need to do?
- Carson and Kasich. Any guesses as to why these gentlemen stay in the race, gobbling up futile votes? Is it just vanity?
Finally, what is your advice on this question: HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT STOPPING DONALD TRUMP?
[Not the Onion News]
Segment Two: Is Abortion The Solution to the Zika?
In South America there has been an outbreak of a new virus called “Zika.” For the most part it is fairly harmless, but apparently it increases the chance of microcephaly in babies. The Mayo Clinic describes microcephaly as: “…a rare neurological condition in which an infant’s head is significantly smaller than the heads of other children of the same age and sex. Sometimes detected at birth, microcephaly usually is the result of the brain developing abnormally in the womb or not growing as it should after birth.”
The outbreak has particularly hit Brazil, a country with a low use of contraception and very strict laws against abortion. Many are now urging that Brazil increase the use of birth control (including some comments by the Pope!), and others are taking the opportunity to suggest Brazil relax their abortion laws to deal with this epidemic.
Brian, a recent article in New York Magazine seemed like it was blaming strict abortion laws for the outbreak. Is that the right way to calculate the causation here?
- Do we know the causes, and if so, what can be done about it? Zika is sexually transmitted, and there’s no chance of getting people to, um, stop that activity. It raised a lot of eyebrows for the Pope to suggest that certain forms of contraception might be appropriate in this circumstance. What do you guys think?
- What should our foundational moral principles be in dealing with epidemics like this?
[Fill in the Blank: Oscars Edition]
Segment Three: The Death Penalty
So far the show seems to be about death, death, and death. Let’s see, the Donald, the Zika virus and now the death penalty. The Pope- you know he’s been turning up in our show a lot recently- for a show hosted by a bunch of Protestants! Anyway, he again made news the other day by condemning capital punishment and calling for a worldwide one-year moratorium on it.
Hadley, do you agree with the Pope on this?
- Why does Roman Catholicism reject Capital Punishment?
- Do you guys support Capital Punishment?
- What does the Bible teach on this question?
Producers: Remley Gorsuch and Brian Mattson
Written by Brian Mattson and Jay Friesen
Theme Music composed by Carlos Martinez
Production Company: Red Futon Films.