In this edition of DR Radio, Jay, Brian, and Hadley chat about the things going on in the global church, the latest news on the Russia investigation, and the Protestant Reformation at 500.
To listen in, you can use the player below or you can subscribe to our podcast on iTunes or Android. We have included the show notes below so you can follow along and check our sources. Don’t forget to share the DR Radio love with your friends!
If you like our show, would you take a moment to rate us on iTunes? Thanks!
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at [email protected]
Dead Reckoning Radio
October 31, 2017
Hello everyone and welcome to the October 31th edition of Dead Reckoning Radio! I am Jay Friesen joined by Hadley “Fresh of Fox Business” Manning and “the guy on the right, Dr. Brian G. Mattson. We are excited to be joining you live on Facebook right now as we record. And for those of you on the podcast, we love you most because there are WAY more of you than on our live stream.
And regarding live streams and podcasts, You can find out when we’re recording live and subscribe to our 5 star rated podcast by following one of our social media accounts at www.deadreckoning.tv.
We do have a great show for your today! In addition to covering the planet with our Quick Takes we’ll be discussing Russian collusion by the Trump administration- hey, we’ve gone a long time without making Trump a segment so let us have this one. And Hadley is going to take a whole segment to “Ask a Theologian” all sorts of things regarding the Protestant Reformation. Naturally we’ll take a couple breaks to hear from our sponsors and play two games of wit and whimsy: Nerd vs. Nerd and Name That Movie: Halloween Edition! Oh, and Hadley is recommending something great today at the end of our show, so don’t leave before then.
Before we dive in, one last thing: Dead Reckoning is a 501©3 organization and is supported by your generous donations and today’s show sponsor, Alliance Defending Freedom, Defending your right to freely live out your faith! You can find out more and thank them for helping make this show possible at www.adflegal.org.
- Happy Halloween-Er Reformation Day? All Saints Dau? It’s October 31st, All Hallow’s Eve, Halloween! Dress up, candy, trick or treating! Pumpkins! Fall is in the air! Hadley are you on the “no Halloween” bandwagon or did you dress up Madeline as a cute little pundit? Or do you celebrate “Reformation Day”? Or do you put out a bowl of candy and hide out in the basement in front of the TV? Or all three?
- World Series for the Ages - Major League Baseball couldn’t have scripted the 2017 World Series any better if they tried. This one, between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros isn’t over yet, but it is already legendary. Brian, as our resident care to catch us up?
- Nepal Outlaws Conversion- The government of Nepal has outlawed Christian evangelism and criminalized converting to Christianity. This is definitely not welcome news to missionary organizations who serve the 80% Hindu nation. On the other hand, banning Christianity has been tried before, most notably by the Roman Empire. In other related news, the Roman Empire doesn’t exist. Christianity does.
- Scotland Outlaws Parenting - Scotland is poised to ban spanking your children, a move opposed by pro-family groups and many child welfare advocates. The law would make criminals out of many reasonable parents, flood the courts with trivial cases, and do little to stop truly abusive parents.
- Christians Aiding Muslims - Christians in Bangladesh and Pakistan are aiding and advocating for hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees from Myanmar, a group known as the “Rohingya.” Christians themselves are a persecuted minority, but they are selflessly advocating for others.
- Hollywood is Hollow - In unsurprising news, Hollywood’s abusive ways continue to be in the spotlight. More accusations surface, and names are being named. Kevin Spacey is the latest big name. After a male actor accused Spacey of attempted rape, Spacey issued an apology that chalked it up to being drunk, followed with the non sequitur that he now “chooses to live as a gay man.” I guess in Hollywood morality, that makes attempted rape okay.
[Sponsor] ADF: Justice for Jack Phillips Trailer 1:19
[Game] Nerd V. Nerd
Thirst Responder - A guy that starts hitting on a girl immediately after she becomes single. ex: “Jon didn’t even wait an hour after Barb ended her relationship to ask her out. He’s such a thirst responder.”
Segment One: The Russia Investigation
Our friend Mollie Hemingway at the Federalist summarizes the recent news:
“Former Donald Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and his associate Rick Gates were indicted by a federal grand jury on 12 counts, including conspiracy to launder a whopping $75 million, and false and misleading federal filings. They pleaded not guilty on Monday. In addition, Trump foreign policy advisor George Papadopolous was revealed to have pleaded guilty to making false statements in an FBI interview about his discussions with Russia-related contacts earlier in the year.”
Apparently, the indictments have little to do with issues surrounding collusion with Russia’s election meddling, and more to do with shady financial practices. Money laundering, essentially. It’s unclear if this is the first of many indictments to come, or if the investigation is wrapping up.
So guys, what do we make of all this?
[Sponsor] ADF: Chief Kelvin Cochran’s Story 2:01
[Game] Name That Movie: Halloween Edition
Synopsis: Sally is torn between going trick or treating for the first time and attending Violet’s sure fire fun Halloween party, or following her love Linus and waiting for the Great Pumpkin’s arrival with him.
Title: it’s the great pumpkin, charlie brown
Synopsis: Halloweentown’s beloved pumpkin king has become bored with the same annual routine of frightening people in the “real world.” When he accidentally stumbles on Christmastown, all bright colors and warm spirits, he gets a new lease on life — he plots to bring Christmas under his control by kidnapping Santa Claus and taking over the role.
Title: The Nightmare Before Christmas
Synopsis: When a man claiming to be Fester, the missing brother of Gomez Addams, arrives at the Addams’ home, the family is thrilled. However, Morticia begins to suspect the man is a fraud, since he cannot recall details of Fester’s life.
Title: The Addams Family
Synopsis: After moving to Salem, Mass., teenager Max Dennison explores an abandoned house with his sister and their new friend. Max accidentally frees a coven of evil witches who used to live in the house. Now, with the help of a magical cat, the kids must steal the witches’ book of spells to stop them from becoming immortal.
Title: Hocus Pocus
Synopsis: A kind, young ghost peacefully haunts a mansion in Maine. When specialist James Harvey arrives to communicate with the spirits in the house, he brings along his teenage daughter, Kat . The ghost quickly falls in love with Kat, but their budding relationship is complicated not only by his transparent state, but also by his troublemaking apparition uncles and their mischievous antics.
Synopsis: After learning she is a witch, Marnie helps save a town full of other supernatural creatures while learning from her grandmother.
Synopsis: While staying at a hotel in England a boy inadvertently spies on a convention of witches. There they reveal a plan to turn all children into mice through a magical formula. When they find that the boy has overheard, the witches test the formula on him. With the help for friends, the mouse-boy must fight back against the witches.
Title: The Witches
Segment Two: The Reformation at 500
As we mentioned in the show open, today marks the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, and we thought we’d commemorate the day by having a conversation about it. So let’s dive right in.
Hdley, you have compiled a list of things to ask Brian, the Theologian so please, ask away.
How should we Protestants feel about Reformation Day? Is this a day for celebrating?
Can you give us a Cliffnotes of the 95 Theses? Was it all, as we learned in history class, about corruption in the Catholic Church and the selling of indulgences?
Fast forward 500 years: What are the biggest theological points of disagreement between Protestants and Catholics today? Why do they matter? In other words, why aren’t we Catholics on this show??
A lot of folks are concerned with divisions in the church, as manifested by the many different denominations. Should we be worried by our divisions as Christians (does God grieve our divisions?) or should we be at peace with the fact that not all Christians agree on all parts of theology and that’s ok?
Would the Church Universal be stronger if we were not divided into Protestants/Catholics/Orthodox, and all the various types? Is there any hope for a union on this side of Heaven… In other words, should we hope for or work for a reunion of the Church?
If we want to celebrate Reformation Day, what are some ways to do it? What are some things we can do today that would make Martin Luther proud?
Segment Three: Dead Reckoning Recommends (Hadley)
Hadley and Brian Socials
Rate on Itunes
- DR Entertainment Brand