Welcome to Dead Reckoning Radio: Trumpville, Turkey Coup, and European Terror!
This edition of DR Radio is no exception to deep discussion and laughs. We’ll be discussing the latest in Trumpville and Republican National Convention, what we should notice about the failed coup in Turkey and the what the future might hold as a result of the continued onslaught of terrorism in Europe. As usual, we’ll be breaking up deeper discussions for games of wit and whimsy which will be Fill in the Blank: Garry Marshall edition and So You Think You Know the Princess Bride? We’ve included the show notes below for you to follow along, if you’d like.
You can listen to the show by using this player or one of the other options below:
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at [email protected]
Good evening everyone and welcome to Dead Reckoning Radio, I am your host Jay Friesen in the studio live with the “aren’t you having a baby soon” Hadley Heath and the “still has mono” Dr. Brian G. Mattson. DR Radio is where we sit around this old door-turned-table and discuss the latest cultural hotspots from a distinctly Christian perspective.
We are live tonight! Thank you for joining us on Facebook, we are looking to forward to your banter in the comments during the show! Hover over that live feed and hit “click more” to join the chat. And thank you to those who have downloaded our 5-star rated podcast. If you have not subscribed, you should. So visit our website at www.deadreckoning.tv.
As always, we have a great show for you tonight! We’ll be discussing the latest in Trumpville and Republican National Convention, what we should of the failed coup on Turkey and the what the future might hold as a result of the continued onslaught of terrorism in Europe. As expected we’ll be breaking up deeper discussions for games of wit and whimsy. Tonight’s been Garry Marshall trivia and So You Think You Know the Princess Bride.
Before we get started with a few quick takes, thank your sponsors for making this show possible. Dead Reckoning is a 501©(3) that relies on their support and your generous donations. Today’s sponsors are Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. ADF is battling for freedom daily in the courts of America. You can visit them at www.adflegal.org. And a special shout out to our donors! You know who you are. Swag is coming.
- PokemonGo! - A game where you hunt and catch imaginary monsters has taken the world by storm. Pokemon Go is different that traditional games in that you play in reality, traveling to catch pokemon, visit pokestops, and train in virtual gyms that have real locations. There are an estimated 30 million users and more daily users than Twitter, making it the biggest mobile game in US history.
- Ticker Tape Parade - Brian’s got a solo duet project.
- Police Shootings – Since our last show, there’s been a slew of deadly violence between citizens and police. In Dallas, a sniper opened fire on police officers patrolling at a Black Lives Matter protest, killing 5 and wounding 9. Other incidents of police shootings in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and Kansas City, Missouri have inflamed racial conflict in America.
Segment One: The Trump Parade!
The Republican National Convention has dominated news this week. With very few GOP leaders wanting to speak, the line up of speakers this year was… interesting. We’ve had all the Trump kids take a turn on the stage as well as Mrs. Trump. Everybody was applauding her efforts since she did remarkably well for her first major speaking appearance. Meanwhile a reporter in an airport in LA noticed segments were almost verbatim Michelle Obama’s from 2008. Fallout ensues. Is this legit plagiarism or just inspiration (as I’ve seen suggested from Trumpers)? Will we forget all of this in a week or two?
- - There was some kerfuffle with the delegates’ audible vote for the nominee and the Colorado delegates left in protest. Anything to this?
- - Last night gave us an even more explosive moment than the previous night with Ted Cruz’s speech without a Trump endorsement and was met with deafening boos and mixed reactions from the public at home. Cruz tiene grandes cajones? Is this good for Cruz or did he just sign his own GOP death certificate? Did you catch Newt Gingrich’s move to try and save Cruz’s non-endorsement? What do you guys think?
- -Mike Pence. Game-changer, guys?
Finally, guys, we need to address the giant, big, elephant in the room. Given the option of Hillary or Donald, how in the world are we supposed to vote!?
[Sponsor Break: ADF- HB2]
[Game: Fill in the Blank, Garry Marshall Edition]
Writer/Director/actor Garry Marshall died. He’s known for Happy Days, The Odd Couple, Pretty Woman, The Princess Diaries, and a whole lot more. Does anyone have a favorite Garry Marshall film?
Segment Two: A Fake Coups in Turkey?
In international news, a military coups in Turkey appears to have failed, and President Erdogan has retained power. But not without sweeping recriminations. State of emergency, military officers dismissed, travel bans, teacher/ministerial licenses revoked. This is a part of the world Americans don’t pay much attention to. What should we make of all this? Who are the good guys: Erdogan or the military? Was this a theatrical/cynical ploy by Erdogan to consolidate power? Is a NATO member sliding toward becoming a new Iran?
[Sponsor Break: ADF-Prayer]
[Game: Princess Bride Trivia!]
Segment Three: Terror in Europe
The rest of Europe continues to be in turmoil after ISIS-inspired terror attacks left scores dead last week. In the coastal city of Nice (“Nees”), France, a terrorist plowed a truck into a promenade and killed more than 80 people: men, women, and children. Then, in Germany, an axe-wielding attacker wounded four people on a train before being shot by police. Tensions are mounting on the continent. With the slow-motion breakup of the European Union (precipitated by Brexit), continued lax immigration policies, what’s the future hold?
Hadley and Brian Socials: @hadleyheath/ @BrianGMattson
Rate on ITunes
- DR Entertainment Brand