The show includes discussion on the challenging topic of transgenderism, whether or not the Presidential debate had any meaningful impact on the presidential race, and for Expand Your Horizons, we’ll be talking about Stranger Things and the dawn of a new film format! As usual, we have two games of wit and whimsy, specifically Nerd v. Nerd and #JesusJuke.
You can listen to the show using the player or other options below. We also include the show notes in this post for you to follow along or check our sources.
Sponsors: Alliance Defending Freedom. Defending your right to freely live out your faith. www.adflegal.org.
If you’d like to sponsor us, shoot us a note at [email protected]
Welcome to Dead Reckoning Radio. We are Live! I’m your host, Jay Friesen. Joined around this old door-turned-table table, Hadley Heath and Dr. Brian G. Mattson. DR Radio is where the three of us intelligently discuss those critical cultural moments from a distinctly Christian perspective.
Today’s show includes discussion on the challenging topic of transgenderism, whether or not the debate had any meaningful impact on the presidential race and for Expand Your Horizons, we’ll be talking about Stranger Things and the dawn of a new film format!
As always we’ll be coming back from our two breaks with games of wit and whimsy, specifically Nerd v. Nerd and Jesus Juke.
During those breaks, you’ll hear from the sponsor of this week’s show, Alliance Defending Freedom: defending your right to freely live out your faith. Visit the at www.adflegal.org to find out the latest in defense of religious freedom, sanctity of life and marriage- or just listen to our show and thank them for supporting us!
For those of you joining us on our livestream chat, we are so glad you’re here and really look forward to the forthcoming discussions. For those of you joining us on our 5 star-rated podcast that want to join us live, head over to www.deadreckoning.tv and subscribe to one of our channels to be notified of our record dates!
- RIP, Two Inspiring Athletes - Golfer Arnold Palmer, inarguably one of golf’s greatest ever, passed away at the age 87. He won 67 PGA titles in his career, as well as many awards for his philanthropy. In more unexpected news, Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident last weekend. Fernandez was a Cuban phenom who defected (after many attempts) and finally achieved his dream of playing in the Major Leagues. He was an inspiration to many in the Cuban-American community, and his death came as a shock to the entire Miami community.
- Dawn of the Three-Parent Child! Researches successfully birthed a baby with three biological parents. They performed this feat by genetically engineering the DNA to contain material from mother and father, plus a donor. They performed this radical new procedure to prevent the mother from passing on a mitochondrial defect. Reactions?
- [Food for thought: 1. Quote from the story, with respect to this type of research: “We must push on, but cautiously.” What does that mean? 2. They went to Mexico to get around American regulations. 3. They created five embryos, only one of which survived.]
- Man Births Child, Woman Fathers Baby? - Wait, what!? That was the “historic” event this week, proudly reported by mainstream outlets. Yes, a woman (who used to be a man) fathered a child with a man (who used to be a woman). Confused? So am I. So what actually happened was something that has been happening biologically since the dawn of the human race! A man and woman had a baby. Hadley, Brian: Should this be news?
Segment One: Gender Identity Confusion
Well, speaking of transgender identities, now that gay marriage is the law of the land, the ever-vigilant left needs a new oppressed people for whom they can champion “justice.” The new vogue oppressed people are the transgendered and their cause is the “right” to be a parent. This can be seen by the sort of news story we just talked about: publicizing the birth of children to trans individuals. Other outlets cover the demand to call it “chestfeeding” and other non-gendered replacements for traditionally maternal things.
Brian and Hadley, we’ve talked about transgenderism a bit in the past, but let’s take a segment and delve a little more deeply into the topic. It promises to be a continual challenge for Christians in our culture.
- What is “transgenderism”? Is there more than one variety? (I.e., Intersex v. Gender identity confusion)
- Does the Bible have anything to say about it?
- How should Christians respond to transgender issues A) On the personal level? B) The church community level? C) On the public policy level?
[Sponsor] ADF: AFF International 2:22
[Game] Nerd V. Nerd
Jabber Woke: to lecture about social injustice, while doing little to create change. ex: “My friend likes to jabber woke at the cafe, then go home and watch Netflix.”
Segment Two: Did the Presidential Debate Change the Game?
This week the nation and entire world was treated to a much-anticipated Presidential debate between former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Businessman Donald J. Trump. Trump supporters thought he won; Hillary supporters thought she thrashed him. What do we think? Did this debate do anything to separate the two or change the direction of the race? Was there anything game-changing?
[More Qs for Jay] What do we think of what Presidential debates have become? Just an exchange of pithy (well, mostly, when it’s not Trump) one-liners and jabs. Is there any substance to be had in these events, and is it a sign of cultural decline that the populace has lost its attention span?]
[Sponsor] ADF: Pastors: 1:17
“I can’t believe the new iPhone 7 is doing away with the headphone jack.
Segment Three: Expand Your Horizons
- It was once called the “mini-series” then Netflix broke a huge mold and release multiple episodes in a season, then came the video form of a Novella. A fixed-length episodic.
- Writers love the format
- Viewers love the format
- Expansion of characters
- Development of plot lines
- No time constraints
- No “Lost effect” (just keeps going and going and wandering and wandering with no end